Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why did I become a nurse?

So, the other day a friend of mine asked for a favor. He daughter had to interview a nurse & so she emailed me the questions. I forgot that the daughter was in Utah & wasn't able to help her complete the assignment. However some of the questions made me think. There was actually 2 questions. One I will discuss later, but the last question was, why did I become a nurse? Easily, I love working with people. I know when I talk about my job, I talk about how my patients annoy me & some of them should just go away. But to tell you the truth. I LOVE BEING A NURSE!!! It fits my personality & I love it. I love working with people & it is a lot of fun. You meet the most interesting people & the crazy things that they do. In fact, I never thought I could make it as a nurse. But the Lord has a way of leading & guiding you in life. My patriaritcal blessing states that, "you will lift heads up with your kind acts." Something like that. I laugh when I read that. It is a great job. It isn't cut out for everyone. I still day dream about going back into the hospital to be a L&D nurse, but right now I need to be were I am at. I chose this career & I am happy with it.
Ok. The other question is, what do you like & dislike about nursing. I hate to say it, but I was quick to name my dislikes more then my likes. And I hate to say it & this is why I am so jaded as a nurse & a compassionate person. I hate, I use that word, because that is the only way I can express the irritation of this. I hate when people take advantage of a system that is to help people & they abuse it & make it hard for everyone else. Yes, I am talking about Medicaid. I have one too many patients that are on medicaid that shouldn't be & should get off their lazy butt & get a job or education to better themselves. I think that it is great that there is a program out there for those that need it, not deserve it. I can't tell you enough how many people abuse this system & get away with it. I get so angry when I think about it & the health reform that is out there. Well not so much now. I am sorry, if you can't control medicaid then how can you do a reformed medicine. Let alone take money away from people that are FORCED to be on Medicare & expect them to get medical care. I strongly believe that people who don't have control over the medical, for example those under the age of 18 & over 65 should with out a dought get medical coverage. There should be no reason why. They should be the number one priority. I do believe that everyone that is legal in the United States should have the right to having coverage. The clinic I work for is taking less medicare because it isn't paying very much, it should be the other way. I feel medicare patients should have no problem getting into a provider. That is my number one dislike. I apologise to my patients for the unsympathetic attitude. I blame the MANY patients that have taken advantage of my nice, no problem attitude. I hate to say it, but when you truly have a problem, I have heard it a thousand times & the sad thing is, I am tire of it. I will continue to serve you, but I am sorry if I don't sound like I care. So my advise to anybody who wants to go into the health field who has a heart. Have a funeral now, because your heart will shrivel up & die. Ok, I am not saying that all of nursing is this way. I do have a goal to be a school nurse. I can't wait. I loved when I substituted for the school district. I love working with the kids. They are innocent & haven't been jaded by the world just yet. Now I may write about how I don't like the parents, but that is a whole different story:):)

1 comment:

  1. You are HILARIOUS. Especially when you're mad. Aren't you glad I read your blog? So you can know at least one person doesn't take everything you say to be true hatred? HHAHA I am glad you are a nurse. You do more good than you will ever realize. And even when you tell people to get off their butt and tell them to start working, you're STILL doing good. :) So go ahead and tell all the people you want. THEY might not think you're nice, but you'll be doing a lot of good. oh. And I'll be cheering you on. :D

    ReplyDelete