Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Patients

As a nurse I deal with A LOT of different people. I knew I wanted to work with people & have variety everyday. Well, boy did I get it. I love being a nurse. Absolutely love being a nurse. Wouldn't change it for the world. No matter how BAD my day is, I am thankful for my career choice. However, I have learned a lot about being a patient. There are certain things that I feel make a fabulous patient. If people listen to me, they think I never had a good patient, but I do. I have thought about patients a lot this week & what advice I can give people to help be a fabulous patient. I hope I don't get fired for this & for that reason I won't tell you where I work:):):)
1. When you make your initial apt with a doctor & they ask you to bring a list of your medication with you. Do it. Don't think you know it by heart, because 99% of the patients think they do & don't. We need name, dose, frequency & route. When you are on like a thousand meds, you don't know these things. If I had a choice and a patient didn't bring it with them in detail, I would have them rescheduled or tell them not to come back. Why? Because if you can't obey the one simple thing that we ask, you aren't going to be compliant.
2. PLEASE come with a list of questions. I can't tell you enough how much it bothers me, when I go to give someone their check-out slip & they say, oh wait I forgot to ask about this one thing. My response is that the doctor is with another patient at this time, you can wait or ask at another apt. They of course want to wait, WHICH ties up a room for another patient & throws off my clinic grove. What I would like to say is, tuff.
3. Pain meds. DO NOT CALL SAYING: I AM ALL OUT & CAN'T GET THOUGH THE NIGHT!!! Again, I want to say tuff. Please!!! I say that again PLEASE call at least 2-3 day before you think you will run out. And when the answering machine says it will take up to 48 hrs to return your call, don't call again & again & again & again. Because what I would like to do is NEVER call you back. If you call & say that you lost them or they were stolen, we think you are lying, even if you are telling the truth you can blame the drug seeking people out there that use that excuse over & over again.
4. Appointment times. If you are seen at your apt time & get out of the office at a quick & amazing time, that is great. But realize you are probably the only patient in that entire clinic. Please give yourself at least 2 hours at appointments. Yes I am guilty at this with my own appointments. My appointment is at 11 am & I think I should be out of there by at least 11:30 & in reality I don't leave until 12:30. My advice: bring a book, a magazine or something to keep you busy. I had a patient watch TV on there phone to pass the time. If you are crunched on times, reschedule. You are only jipping your appointment that your insurance will probably only pay $10 of a $300 bill. This is the only time you will be with your doctor, take advantage of it.
5. For the medicaid patients. I think that it is great you have coverage. Be thankful for it. My advice for you. Pay your $3 copay. And if you can't pay it, don't come in with a fancy coffee from down stairs with all the fun stuff that goes with it, that cost at least $4.
6. For the medicare patients. I am sorry. You are being SOOOOOOOOO screwed. I am sorry that you work your entire life & in the end we screw you. I am sorry that the government doesn't show you the appreciation that you deserve.
7. For the Tricare patients (Military people). I am REALLY sorry. While the doctors are over seas protecting us & there are no military doctors to serve you here & you end up at my clinic. I am sorry. There are so many loops & swirls & everything possible to go through & to get seen is a miracle. Thank you for you Patience's & we support you.
8. I think I will make this last, you have rights as patients. My biggest pet peeve while working in the hospital is when a patient would say, oh the doctor knows what he is doing, I will agree. No questions asked nothing. Please ask. Always question your doctor decision. The doctor doesn't always know what is in your best interest. If you don't want it, say no. But make sure you have all the facts. Seek another opinion. There is nothing wrong questioning them. My doctor in fact encourages them too.
Like I said, I love being a nurse. I deal with all of this on a daily bases. You keep my life interesting. Thank you. I hope I didn't offended anybody, but that is the ugly truth. Hope you have a great time at your next doctors appointment.

3 comments:

  1. Just sayin it like it is. I'm guilty of one of the things you talked about. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha I love your brutal honesty. :) I think you only took it easy on us Military folk because you know so many of us! Haha Billers sure hate tricare patients. :P I TOTALLY know what you mean about Medicaid patients coming in with their fancy finger nails and clothes and bags, and coffees. AH! Sarah you make me laugh so hard. I love it. Then when you ask for $3.00 they say, "oh! i don't have three dollars, please don't make me pay!" like you're asking them for a kidney. "Sure, I'll just take your kidney instead. thaaaank you!" ha ha I have an apt on Tuesday and I want to question her judgement on making me take the glucose test. blaaaahaaaa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, Sarah. Well worth reading. Since we moved I have just been avoiding all doctors' offices...that works, too. :) Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete